What is UTOPIA?
UTOPIA is a state-of-the-art fiber optic network supported by its member communities and built to benefit residents and businesses. This network allows subscribers to connect to the world in ways they have never experienced before, providing blazing fast Internet speeds, phone, and television services. UTOPIA’s 11 service areas represent nearly 28% of all communities in the United States that can enjoy 1Gigabit service on a publicly owned network—100 times faster than the national average of 8Mbps.
- Brigham City
- Cedar City*
- Cedar Hills*
- West Valley City
*UTOPIA services are not available at this time.
What are fiber optics?
Optic fibers are hair-thin, flexible strands of glass through which light beams can travel. The strand functions as a waveguide, or “light pipe” to transmit light between the two ends of the fiber.
What are the benefits of fiber optics?
- Consistent, parallel speeds. That means when you sign up for a 50/50 connection, you’ll get 50 Mbps upload and download. The upload speed is becoming increasingly important in our cloud-computing, on-line world.
- A dedicated line—no sharing. When you get home from work and need to use the Internet, you’ll enjoy all the bandwidth you need, because you aren’t sharing a cable or DSL connection with all the school kids in the neighborhood.
- “Future proof.” This is a bit of an abstract concept, but the great benefit of fiber optics is that it can handle immense amounts of data, which means it can power applications we haven’t even thought of yet. Whereas 700 Kbps was once the definition of broadband, these days 5 Mbps is barely adequate. What will our everyday usage require in 2015, 2020, and beyond?
How is UTOPIA different from other Internet options?
The UTOPIA network is open access, which means UTOPIA runs the fiber optic lines and lets private Internet service providers use it. This means subscribers can choose the service provider that best fits their needs.
Which residential ISPs are using the UTOPIA network?
Providers include Brigham.net, Fibernet, InfoWest, SumoFiber, Veracity, XMission and others. Because our network is open, the incumbent telecoms are welcome to join our network, but have elected not to.
What does UTOPIA cost?
Currently, UTOPIA has four installation and infrastructure options for new residential subscribers:
Lease option: $30 a month for a one-year lease. After one year, your contract switches to month-to-month term.
CUE (Contract Utility Enhancement) option: The CUE option is a ownership-like model. With this option the UTOPIA connection is tied to the property and it is billed directly by the city. The benefits of signing up for a CUE is once the infrastructure commitment is met then you will only have to pay for the services.
- $300 down and $30 a month for 10 years (6% interest rate).
- No money down and $25 a month for 20 years (7.9% interest rate).
- A $2,750 upfront charge.
*A CUE contract must be signed by the homeowner on record.
How much is the average monthly bill?
For a 100/100 Mbps connection, the average service provider using the UTOPIA network charges approximately $35 a month. The average cost of a 100/100 Mbps data connection plus the UTOPIA fee is $65.00 a month.
After I sign up for service, how long will it take for someone to contact me to schedule my install?
Your contract for installation and services will be processed within 48 business hours. Once paperwork has been processed, an install can be scheduled. Occasionally there are hold ups that can delay the process. If there are such delays, your representative will contact you to get those resolved within a timely matter.
How do I switch service providers?
You can switch by contacting a service provider directly or by contacting UTOPIA at 801.613.3880.
What is a home installation like?
Visit our YouTube page where we have posted three video vignettes outlining the installation process.
What do I need to know before my installation?
We have a Pre-Install FAQ, located here, that explains everything you need to know before your installation.